Wednesday, April 14, 2010

leon's definitely getting larger. again.

So here I am.

Once again.

Staring at that wagon I need to climb back up on towards dropping weight and getting healthier.

I am my own biggest hurdle and let me tell you, I'm very talented at getting in my own way.

It's amazing how logical and reasonable doing the right thing for yourself can be...and equally stunning how easy it is to ignore your own mindset and fall into extremely bad patterns.

Of course, that fall is cushioned by burritos, my friends.
Also known as my friend, the burrito. (who is only pretending to be my friend. sigh.)

I've never had to overcome an addiction like smoking or drinking or shopping [insert any addiction you may partake in or have been witness to.] But, the way I continue to fall off the wagon has got to be similar to a smoker giving in to that physical craving for some nicotine or the alkie's perceived comfort from a bottle.

It's literally a daily battle. Whenever I start to feel cocky about small successes, that's when I bend...which ultimately leads to the fall.

I've been watching quite a bit of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution and while the cynic in me cries out about ratings and ad dollars, I can't help but be moved by what I perceive to be his sincere desire to inspire folks to put down the frozen pizza and pick up a wok.

Here's his TED talk on the subject that I feel cuts to the quick - it uses clips from the show and covers all of the salient points in a quick 20 minutes:





I've also been fairly mortified by a newish blog run by a grade school teacher in my own state regarding what her students are being given to eat. It's her own year long version of Super Size Me. At her school, kids get 20 minutes to eat this crap...and there's no recess anymore. This school only gets gym class once a week. It boggles the mind.

Kids are all energy. Add a diet high in sugar (and high fructose corn syrup) and 0% way to burn off any of it? How do teachers get anything accomplished in a day? Brains need nutrients, yo.

I don't know about you, but I got way more exercise running around at recess versus waiting for my "turn" in gym. Grade school with no recess? That's criminal. CRIMINAL. For the kids, the teachers and any sitters/caretakers/parents who have to deal with all that unleashed post-school energy.

Sweet baby jaybus! No wonder every one's got their kids on Ritalin.

While it's just another confirmation that we as a nation of immediate gratification driven consumers are swimming in - our own bad choices. Choices we vote for with our representatives, by our purchases and with our behavior.

That we are a nation (about 2/3) of fatties who don't want to look at the big picture (no pun intended) of what we are doing to ourselves, each other and to future generations.

I was a uber healthly kid. I played sports, was nearly always the first girl picked for the team (sometimes, even before some of the boys, yo!), and was an all-around tough little sob. You did not mess with me on the kickball diamond, the soccer field or at the public swimming pool where I spent pretty much every day during summer break.

Personally, I blame puberty as a root cause for my eventual down slide...but that's a story for another day.


Here's likely my greatest challenge that I have only begun to really embrace.
While I love eating veggies and healthly stuff...I'm just not a fan of cooking. At least not at the moment (I do recall enjoying cooking for others at time.) But, cooking for myself is just a pain.

A pain/hurdle I need to figure out my way around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have lost close to 30 lbs since Feb 2nd. I am using an I-Phone App called My Fitness Pal. They have a website-You can google it. I'm not an ad so I won't link it. Anyway, it's just a way to count calories using a food diary. Nothing groundbreaking there but the application makes it easy-peasy to track. There is a giant data-base of food that users enter so if you get it off a shelf it is probably in there. The more you use it the more of a personal data base you build up so planning becomes very easy. If you don't have an I-phone you can use the website to keep track. They are also working on aps for other smart phones.
I started off at 1800 calories a day and now I am at 1650. Most days I come in a bit under and then on the weekend I tend to go a bit over (OK sometimes waaaaaayy over) but the weight loss has been nothing like I have experienced before. And I am never really hungry. I eat regularly during the day but now that I have to keep tabs on it I make sure of what it is before I ingest it.
A typical breakfast is a big bowl of Cheerios or Special K and a Banana, I eat the Weight watchers smart meals for Lunch and sometimes Dinner with some tortillas that clock in at 50 calories each. Lo calorie snack here and there.
It's working out well. I wanted to lose 40 lbs before I went to London in July. I'm going to make that easily so then my next goal is to get down to a decent fighting weight of 190. If I can do it a bad ass like you can do it.
Big Hugs - Ravin

rebar said...

That is so awesome, Dave!

I am too much of a luddite to have an I-phone...or use an app...but I will check out the website.

Thanks!

Hixx said...

I was JUST thinking this the other day. I'm just going to admit it, I don't like cooking. I just don't and I'm not going to let it make me feel defective or something!

And I"m learning to eat healthier without much cooking..yogurt and granola, good cereal, fruit...wallah! No cooking!