Thursday, November 20, 2008

self-evident

Because the universe constantly seeks balance, and in counter to my brainless reverie yesterday (and thanks to an email this AM from my neighbor B), I've had the Constitution and Declaration of Independence running around my brain for hours.



We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.


Such beautiful words.
So gracefully and clearly stated.




We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.


Seriously, when I read this stuff it makes my heart flutter.
It makes me straighten my posture.
It makes me want to read thicker books.
The non-fiction kind.

I wish I knew why I react like a schoolgirl reading a note she found in her locker. It honestly makes me all weak-kneed and loopy. Usually when I come across fantastic writing, I get slightly distraught at the thought that I'll never write a sentence that good. Never craft a phrase that reaches in and yanks at the heart of the reader.

But when I read these words, I'm filled with something near bliss.
Simple, delightful bliss.

Now, don't get me wrong. I know our history. We have destroyed more personal freedom than we have granted. Slavery. Oppression of indigent tribes. Burning witches and interning our own citizens. Blacklists. Segreation. Hate crimes. Suffrage. On and on.




And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.


At the core of this Republic remains a pledge to one another.
A promise that this country carries an opportunity to seek a more perfect union.


It's my happy thought on this Thursday, the 20th day of November in the year 2008.