Tuesday, February 10, 2009

a stop along the way

Fly away little bird
Any place in this open mouthed world
Begs to be fed like a bed that beckons you, but you won't rest


Sunday night Pete treated me to some sushi...man, I love sushi!

We went to Tampopo and I really recommend it (for sushi.) Mmmm, Tuna! The fish was very fresh and generously sliced. The maki was tasty, too. They make one roll that has sweet potato tempura in the middle, and the outer layer of the maki is wrapped in avocado. I never would have put those flavors or textures together, but hell if it doesn't work!

We caught up a bit while we ate and after downloading the economy, the stimulus package, folks we know that have been laid off (or have made it thru them) and Obama's first 15 days, the subject ended up on much lighter fare - American Idol.

Specifically, if I'd be starting up with my Idol "rants."

Every one's got a need to go
Most of us stick with our row to hoe
But not you, you're the black crow
With a straight line, and no time


For the past couple of years, I've been emailing a recap of my perceptions and opinions of the Idol performances to a small group of folks who follow Seabreeze & Co.

"His voice just doesn't fit this song and if he was tring to exude some kind of sexy beast attitude? It came off as more a half-assed drunken hobbit singing karoake at Bilbo's going away party."

"He made some serious stoner contorted faces during that song. I suppose one man's "intensity" is another man's "bong hit.""

"WTF was that whole crossing the stage thing about. If you know you move like a broke-ass Teddy Ruxpin, DON'T HIGHLIGHT IT BY WALKING ACROSS STAGE MID-SONG."


It's all been just a bit of snarky fun with folks that - many of them being friends of friends - I barely know or only have conversed with online during "Idol season."

Most folks just read my Idol missives, but one, Sandy, (a former co-worker of Pete's) would respond back weekly and with gusto. She'd email me back, letting me know if she agreed or disagreed with my comments - and would always encourage me to keep writing.

For the birds of prey who wreck your nest
Twice your size steal your best
They set you on this course of your collision


Lively and funny, Sandy is one of those people who live on your periphery that you figure you'd meet sooner or later at some backyard bbq or bar outing.


Pete told me Sandy passed away last week.


It took me a while to register that info.
My brain kept trying to hear it as, "She got laid off."
She got laid off. She got laid off. She got laid off.

I am a stop along your way
I am the words you'll never say
I crossed the great beyond of fear
I opened my eyes and saw us there, what a view
You went there too


It's strange. I never met this woman, our only connection was snarky retorts about a tv show. I barely knew any facts about her life except where she worked and her favorite Abba song.

Fly away little bird
Find the song in you that no one's heard
Strengthen your wings as you sing your solo flight
Through this short life


It feels silly to say about someone I've never seen, but, I know I'll miss her. I felt a small, but solid affinity to her and had been looking forward to our annual Idol repartee, which was quickly approaching.

Such a small, silly thing to share.
Such an odd connection to feel.

Every one's got a deep regret
We try to ground ourselves to forget
But your race to the end is neck and neck
You love them, you love them not

The birds of prey who wreck your nest,
Twice your size steal your best
They set you on this course of your collision

But, she's stuck in my brain this week. This friend/stranger.

I threw some CDs sitting around on the Ipod over the weekend...and this Indigo Girls song just came on.

I am a stop along your way
I am the words you'll never say
I crossed the great beyond of fear
Opened my eyes and saw us there, what a view
And you went there too


Every time I hear it, I get a lump in my throat - it's a song that is extremely motivational and beautiful. Something that you might hear in an off-loop musical. Simultaneously, it sounds like something I'd want played at my own funeral/kegger blow out.

Hearing this song, as much as we foist our our feelings and baggage onto lyrics, it just seemed so apropos regarding this lady that I barely know.

I can't tell you how many times we chatted about what song would be good to audition with, or a better choice for country week or disco night or what we'd sing at the finale if we got the chance...and if we could hold a tune.

But all along your chosen path are
Window panes and sheets of glass
That you won't see
You fly too fast
One day it will be over

I don't really do dedications...but I think, since our entire connection has been in the ether of the internets, I'd like to dedicate this song, in this moment, to Sandy.

This is the song I'd sing....if I could do it justice.

Fly away little bird
The saddest song I ever heard
Was the one that I wrote you in my heart
That never made it to the world


Seems that the Indigo Girls have yet to release an official video for this track. This Star Wars fanvid had the best sound quality (over some live concert cuts)...I'd like to think it would give Sandy a good laugh as well. Enjoy.

2 comments:

The Rev said...

Thank you for reminding me of all the incredible ways we touch people's lives, even with our smallest connections. You rock, sis.

Love,
The Rev

Erica said...

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear about this loss. I am thinking of you.

xo