Monday, July 6, 2009

taking the Bee back

As a post-modern-modern woman, I'm a big believer that there are some things worth "taking back." Not only to honor what they historically represent, but embracing what those representations mean today and applying them to our everyday lives.

In days of olde, women gathered for quilting bees and sewing bees - ever the productive and efficient gender.

When reviewing our skill sets and our need to take a break from both bringing home the bacon and also frying it up in a pan, our ladies auxiliary went for an event more social than utilitarian.

We decided to hold a Tequila Bee.

I'm not a big drinker these days.
I'm what you would call the "occasional imbiber."

It should be stated that, more times than not, if I feel like putting my drinking cap on or attempt to relive my rowdy 20's, I normally have to Plan. That. Shit. Out.

I believe the equation is that for every 1 hour I drink, I need 5 hours of recovery time.

Even after doing the math, I was highly anticipating the chance to throw a few back with friends and letting my brain float away on a wash of fermentation, come what may. Friday was such a day.

A few of the ladies gathered on a friend's back porch. Reminiscent of a pot-luck, we each brought something to the table.

I showed up with the Tequila (two kinds), limes and a double batch of fresh guacamole. B picked up the chips, salsa, fancy cookies and the Triple Sec. J brought some tasty mini-tacos a la Trader Joe's (damn. TJ's has some tasty hors devours!) And K made some of her home brewed sour mix especially for the occasion.

It was the perfect weather to just sit on the porch and swim around in Margaritaville. We people watched (the porch has a bird's eye view of an el platform), regaled each other with saucy tales and just plain relaxed our minds and bodies.

While we didn't walk away with a Friendship Ring quilt or husk any corn, I think that we lived up to the true nature of a "bee" and accomplished a productive task that drew us together as friends and neighbors.

We got stewed.

In fact, we had such a delightful time, we're already planning another for later this summer...and I wouldn't be surprised if a Martini Bee doesn't pop up in the fall.


While a huge party of friendly folk is nice, a small cadre of companions is sometimes a better balm to soothe the beastie within.

My recommendation to you (whether or not you have alcohol on hand) is an afternoon spent on a back porch with a small group of friends telling stories and making each other laugh.

Although, I really would recommend the liquor.


On a specific note, while the standard José Cuervo Gold is fine for mixing, do yourself a proper and get a better quality tequila for doing shots. We went with José Cuervo Black Medallion (aged for more than one year in oak casks) and baby, that was some smooth agave for anyone on a budget.

4 comments:

Erica said...

I had a whiskey back porch afternoon last weekend and it was amazing.

Man, I love tequila.

Yeah!

rebar said...

Say the word, and you shall get an invite to the next bee!

Unknown said...

We have a bottle of wine with your name on it - literally, but we don't know if we can cross the county line, yet. We'll have to check with Boss Hogg.

rebar said...

Are you the Gerald that is married to my evil twin?

If so, I'll send you the GPS for the backroads that will get you across county lines safely.

Boss Hogg will be none the wiser.