Tuesday, October 14, 2008

less buzzing, more bliss

[Please read the following in that "In a world..." movie trailer voice.]

In a time of economic turmoil...
With election muckracking at full stop...
And a man would kill his neighbor for the food on his table...

I have found solace in the most unlikely of places.

Easy listening music.

After reading J's confession of her connection to the song stylings of one, Melissa Manchester, it was like the scales fell from my own eyes. Lately, I find myself drawn to less confrontational more cerebral and certainly a moony-ish type of music.


I give you the calm glory of Anne Murray.





Admittedly, I'm not solely devoted to easy listening. I can only listen to so much Carpenters before I need to kick a puppy. But while I'm flying around on the dial these days, I seem get stuck on a song I otherwise normally would spin by. Just this morning I got stuck on a song I haven't heard in ages.



Is it wrong for me to want to lock Anne and Lyle in a cabin on a hill and not let them out until they wrote me a song?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Is it wrong for me to want to lock Anne and Lyle in a cabin on a hill and not let them out until they wrote me a song?"
Does Anne Murray write songs? I did not know that. I'm not an Anne Murray hater by any means but I'm not a big fan either.
Lyle though, that guy is great. College room mate of Robert Earl Keen.
Anyway, does this mean you have other people writing you songs as well? Are you a songwriter cheat? Get what you want out of one and then it's back to the locked cabin to notch up another tunesmith on your belt.
Wow.

rebar said...

>>Does Anne Murray write songs? I did not know that.

True enough, she is not a songwriter, just a performer. I think I have always favored her over other "performers" of that era...I recall a duet with the recently departed Jerry Redd that shot her stock way up in my book!


But you're correct. She's not a writer. She does, however, actually play piano and guitar, so if ever there was a person who could collaborate and/or wrest some lyrical wonderment from her...I kinda like to think it would be Lyle.

Even if he wrote it and they just sang a duet. I would be happy with that.


>>Anyway, does this mean you have other people writing you songs as well? Are you a songwriter cheat? Get what you want out of one and then it's back to the locked cabin to notch up another tunesmith on your belt.


Dude, it's your own damn fault.

You didn't even make me squirm a bit when I asked for a song...and THEN, you write this piece that I love.

I mean, if you had set the bar a little lower...AHEM.



I figure if I could get you to roll over and write me a kickass song, how hard could it be to get Lovett to pen one?

Easy peasy.


I alreayd have a call into Steve Earle.

I'm sure he's busy with yard work and will get back to me shortly.