Wednesday, October 1, 2008

rocktober

It's October 1st. I love Autumn. I love it's colors and temperatures and turtlenecks. I love that the idea of decay can be beautiful and at the same time, be merely the next step on the journey. I love cider and squash and raking leaves. I love Black and Tans and pumpkin soup being back on the menu. I love watching old movies wrapped up in a blanket while the wind rattles the house. I love wearing scarves and knitting scarves. I love letting a hot mug of tea warm me up from the inside out.

Even though Fall officially started over a week ago...it really just showed up in the last day or two.


And because Autumn, to me, seems to hold nothing but opportunity, I have been gearing up to turn over a new leaf. Several in fact. I've been feeling super crappy of late in both mind and body. After a long embrace of denial and procrastination, I'm hitting reset and putting myself on notice.

I am now less than a year from turning 40. My goal is to feel healthier in mind and body by that time. To turn my house into a home and not just a way station. And to fucking hang those blinds I bought nearly a year ago. (You hear me, P? We're hanging the freaking blinds when you get here.)

So, leaf is mid-turn. I'm getting back on the WW wagon, eating only things that are good for me, starting a slow plan of exercise (my foot still giving me issues) and starting my spring cleaning around my homestead a mere 5 months after the fact.

With all that good choice making, I ask you...Is it wrong to already have a complaint?

I'm having a nice turkey sandwich on whole grain with mustard for lunch. It's a really good sammich. Lettuce, tomato and cucumbers...hell, it's fresh even! And I normally have a cup of chili with it, but instead I went for a cup of minestrone. It had tons of veggies floating in it and I'm all about ramping up my veggie intake.

Here's the problem. Aside from the freshly made deli sammich, most of the "entrees" our cafeteria produces all taste exactly the same. Flavorless. The minestrone tastes like they soaked the veggies until they were at full limp and served them up. It's not seasoned and really tastes like a cup of waterlogged zucchini and leftover salad bar. Every time I tell myself, "NEVER AGAIN WILL YOU BUY SOUP HERE!" it seems that a cold day comes along and I give it a shot. Always, always disappointing.

Amazingly enough, their chili isn't too bad....but it's a bean-lovers dream and in a small cubicaled environ, that poses other obstacles that I wasn't interested in traversing.

Uh. I've already said too much.
Look! What's that over there?

[climbs under desk where nobody will see]

1 comment:

The Rev said...

I hear ya, Boo... you got the tools, I got the time.... blinds on, baby.. blinds on.. oh, wait, that's game on, blinds up... whatever....

Skeeter
(Who is sooo looking forward to pressing leaves with vasoline into a scrapbook to bring home to florida to decopage...)