Wednesday, November 11, 2009

and so we begin

Last night was our first rehearsal of The (edward) Hopper Project.
One could feel the collective sigh of relief go up in WNEPland.

What started out as a writing assignment (write a scene inspired by a specific set of Edward Hopper paintings) over 2 years ago, has finally been put into the hands of 17 actors and a band of able-bodied production folk.

I'm a contributing writer and as we went through the reading for the very first time with the cast, the actor playing the character I mainly wrote for was sitting directly beside me.

It's hard to describe listening to someone else read words you put on a page. Overall, I would define it as "quite satisfying."

My job as "writer" is complete.

My job as assistant director is just getting started.
(more on that later.)

My job as costume designer is already in full swing.

I have several goals for the costume design:
- maintaining/representing the fashions of 1952 accurately.
- using the paintings that inspired each scene for some direct/literal design ideas
- other costumes will be influenced more symbolically by Hopper's colors and themes - using colors from the "Hopper palette."

The supra cool part is that I adore his paintings. Getting to study them to find the elements which I think apply to each scene and character is really just a delightful exercise for my brain.

Now...finding all these vintage pieces?
That's gonna take some work.




I hear the words of my lord and saviour, Tim Gunn in my ear, "Make it work!"
With you in my heart, Tim...I shall.

No comments: