Sunday, January 24, 2010

influence and perspective

I'm fairly sure, at least in my time at WNEP, we've never had as much press coverage for one show, as we've been granted for Hopper.

As an off-loop theater company (with 100 other small theaters competing for press as well as the decrease in arts coverage - too many shows, not enough reviewers, publications cutting back in size and scope - most reviews are barely more than a paragraph, these days), to have so many reviewers interested in Hopper, we're in a very fortunate and rare position to get such a cross-section of feedback. See D-Ray's blog for links to all the reviews.

While the reviews have been all over the board - some like the comedy, some prefer the drama, some want more of a traditional story arc, some wanted less, some loved the grand scale of a giant set and cast, some thought it was too far reaching, some believed there were "too many cooks" in the writing and some really dug the whole kit and kaboodle.

Mostly, what I've been interested and asking folks who come see the show is:
1) Did you enjoy the show? and
2) What do you think about Edward Hopper?

I wish I had kept better statistical data, because, again, it's been all over the board.

Some folks love Hopper's work.
Some folks are only really familiar with "Nighthawks."
Some folks know the painting...but only as pop art parody.
Some folks really are not a fan of his work.
Some folks were "meh" about him. (Why those folks came to the show? I suspect to support someone working on it, and other folks said they support DCA shows in general...which is really outstanding, as a rule.)

When you look at any painting, you find your own story and connect emotions with it that someone standing right next to you, well, they'll have a completely different tact on it. Theater is very much like this reaction.

Your personal experience impacts your perception.

Yes, yes...that statement can be true about all things throughout life.
But, looking at a painting or watching a play almost seems to magnify this result.

My favorite responses have been such...

"I went to the Art Institute today and looked at the painting before I came and saw the show."

"I am not a fan of Hopper. I generally find his work to be isolating and depressing. But, I loved this show!"

"What painting was that scene from?"

"Afterwards, I went online and looked at a bunch of his stuff. I really liked it!"


Personally, the greatest compliment I can ever give to a show is that I want more. If it's from a book, I want to read the book. If it's inspired by history or a true story, I want to research it and learn more.

In our case, if our show puts the desire in someone to see more of Hopper's works? I feel like we won.

It's an interesting cycle. Hopper creates, which influences us to create, which influences some folks to reconsider (or consider for the first time) Hopper's work. Or who knows? Maybe this show will inspire someone else to create something?

Of course the circle of influence is stretches beyond Hopper alone.

Speaking for myself, I reimmersed myself in the works of Studs Terkel and Nelson Algren as I was writing the pieces I submitted for the show, not to mention all the research I did for the costume design for the show. D-Ray's direction was very much influenced visually by Joseph Cornell along with 50's jazz music he uses in the show, along with other influences I'm probably unaware of.

In my mind, Art, in a way, is like paying it forward.

Brass tacks? Art is sharing. Sharing an idea or a feeling or a laugh. Edward Hopper (1882 - 1967) saw something and decided to put in on canvas decades ago. I'll never know what he was feeling that day, or what he might have wanted me to feel about it...but I have a reaction to it all the same.

His work inspired many people to create this show, which (hopefully) will influence some folks to look at his work with new eyes, perhaps. Or encourage them to put their coins on the counter and see another play by another small off-Loop theater company in the future. Who knows.

Art creates art. Art is encouraging. Art is free speech. Art is fun. Art is a release. Art is connection. Art is so many things. And pretty much? All of those things are a good thing.



I am often fascinated by the influence of art.
How the ripples can stretch out, sometimes quietly and find it's impact years later.

Here is a song. It is one of my personal favorites.
Originally written and recorded in 1964, it never made it to the charts.

Still, this song went on to influence many folks.

Nearly 20 years later, an English band re-recorded it to much success (the first version I heard and loved.) And more bands and artists continue to put their stamp on it.

But, once I heard the original, I was struck by how a piece of art can, by critical and/or financial standards, "fail" - and yet still be a beautiful piece of work that still ripples out.

I'm not comparing this to Hopper directly...I consider our production to be a complete success.

I'm only using this as an example of how art can reach across the years to impact other artists and "civilians" across the globe...and how, when I like something, I want to know as much as I can about it.

Enjoy.




Tainted Love (1964)
Written by Ed Cobb (1938 - 1999)
Originally Recorded by Gloria Jones

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now track down Coil's cover of "Tainted Love". Downright funereal.

Also, beautiful post here, Rebar.

Unknown said...

Good post….thanks for sharing.. very useful for me i will bookmark this for my future needed.

seo company