Friday, August 8, 2008

buzz

100 years war

I've been meaning to post about the Cubs sweep of Milwaukee last week...but I've been too high from the sheer joy of it. And the last two games against Houston? It's was like watching Lupus catch that fly ball! You just want to jump up and down with glee! 69-46! Such. Lovely. Numbers.


Here's the odd thing though. Normally, I would be sharing all the ups and downs of the season with my grandmother Wanda. I can hear telling me how good her boys were today...and how those lousy bums need to learn how to field already! Her voice is like a song that gets stuck in your head. It fades in and out, but it's constantly swimming around in there.

Wanda passed away just over 3 years ago and in her absence I've been calling my Pop (her son) to commiserate and celebrate accordingly. It's not the same. First off, my Pop is more a Bears fan than a Cubs fan. Sure, you can be both, but in this case, I think he'd end our season early, if it meant getting to football season faster.

Also, I don't know which my father is more frustrated with, my support of Obama (he's for McCain and still can't figure how he raised "such a freaking liberal")...or for my complete and utter optimism for the Cubs going all the way this season.

Instead of enjoying what a phenonmenal year it continues to be, he watches games and reports back to me with nothing but contempt and the assurity that they are going to blow it out their old wazoos....any day now. It's like he won't allow himself be hopeful on any level.


Just you watch. They'll blow it yet.

In a way, I think my Pop has taken a lot of hits in the past few years - his health, his ability to work and care for himself and in general, just being a bit lonely. Because of these things, he really doesn't want to have any more hopes dashed. I can't blame him, but I wish he could just allow himself to enjoy the moment.


More importantly, he's totally killing my buzz, yo.


Go Cubs! Kick some Cardinal ASS this weekend! For Wanda, kids. For Wanda.







show-off

There are only SIX peformances of Metaluna left! That's the thing about short runs...they are muthascratchin'...short! I'm going to enjoy every minute left of these folks...even with this stupid sinus cold that will not jump ship.


If you haven't seen it, you only have a few more chances:

Tonight! Friday, Aug 8 - 8:00pm
Saturday, Aug 9 - 8:00pm
Sunday, Aug 10 - 7:00pm

Thursday, Aug 14 - 8:00pm
Friday, Aug 15 - 8:00pm
Saturday, Aug 15 - 8:00pm - CLOSING NIGHT


I'm gonna miss these fools and foolishness.





1 comment:

music is bliss said...

My grandma (Fran) and your grandma are hanging out together, I'm sure, enjoying the Cubbies. Fran used to go to spring training every year in Arizona, and she and my grandfather took us to the games when we were kids. She had a card that said "Die Hard Cubs Fan since 1962" on it. We went to a game in Miami several years ago and some Cubs fan started giving her shit because he thought she was a Marlins fan. She whipped out the card and he started bowing to her. That was fucking cool.