Tuesday, August 26, 2008

research

My dad has this vintage tandem bike in his garage that he's looking to sell.
(this is not the bike, but the same model...thanks youtube!)




Pretty sweet, huh? I'm attempting to help him sell it (he lives off the grid) was looking at it over the weekend. While it needs some cleaning and mild adjustments, it seems to still be in pretty good shape. It's a "vintage" bike, circa late 60's-early 70's and yes, I rode this as a youngster.

Point in fact, we grew up riding this bike all over town. What they don't tell you is that nobody really rides a tandem. I mean, most folks might try it once or twice, say on a vacation or on a dare...but as a usual mode of transport? You don't ride a tandem to work...or to work out for that matter.

It does get a lot of attention. It was like riding one of those turn-of-the-century bikes with the giant wheel. Everyone looked at you like the circus was in town when you rode by. They really do have an yesteryear feel to them.

One of my all-time favorite movies is The Quiet Man. There is a scene where John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara jump on a tandem bike and escape the watchful eye of their chaperone. It seemed romantic and daring and probably kept me on that bike longer than had I not wished on my 9th birthday to be transported into that film for a day (something akin to Brigadoon.)


As I was pretty young at the time, I got stuck riding in back which had it's good points - not pedaling if my sibling cheesed me off - and it's bad points - no steering ability equaled no control - which led to being cheesed off, which led to no pedaling. It was quite the vicious circle.


Ours hasn't been ridden in ages and really, it's a bit sad when a bike doesn't get ridden. It's like when you look at an abandoned swingset in someone's backyard. It has all this potential to give someone a bit of joy, but it just sits, untouched and motionless.

So, it's for sale.

In that vein, I've been going online to suss out a fair asking price for a vintage tandem. I've checked out a vintage bike forum (they are more about trading than selling) and I finally had an excuse to go on Craig's List . Honest. I've never tooled around on it before.

Not too much there regarding vintage bike enthusiaists, but I fell prey to the siren's call of odd and weird postings...the ones that I've always heard of, but had never witnessed.

Looking for a Cooking Buddy (Chicago, IL)
My partner is an excellent cook but he doesn't have the patience to teach me and I'm not allowed in his kitchen. I really want to learn how to cook and it would be great if I can meet someone once a week and have cooking sessions, nice chats, and start a friendship. Someone who also enjoys a good mystery, foreign movies, short walks, nice wines, and needlework.

What does foreign film and needlework have to do with learning how to cook? Why do I suspect that Craig's List has become the Men's Rest Stop Bathroom for the "aughts"?



Oy. Fuck it.
Anybody want to buy a bike?

No comments: