Friday, August 1, 2008

shooting blancs

There is very little improvisation in Metaluna. Joe Janes wrote a fantastic script...but as most actors are wont to do (even Joe), a line or two gets added here and there - especially when the direction is for there to be hub-bub or some emotional reaction from the other actors/ensemble.

Our man Tiger, played my Michael Johnson, often leaves the audience cracking up with such gems as, "That was awful. Your mother should be ashamed for birthing you." And, "That was terrible. I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and kill your mother before she birthed you. And then I would kill myself."

It's in the delivery, I swear.


But last night, I had some co-workers in the audience (who totally dug the show) and near the very top of the show, they heard someone exclaim, "Good day to you, sir. I said GOOD DAY."

Now, that line is not in the script and I was a bit preoccupied last night back stage, so I'm not sure who dropped that gem. But that line (as well as being classic comic gold) has been a staple of our shop talk at work. So, when said co-workers heard it, they peed a little with joy and then embraced the rest of the show wholeheartedly.

Of course, that's all I've heard around the office today. When pressed as to where this quote came from, we've been racking our brains and searching the internets.

This is my presentation.




While the phrase, "Good day, sir. I said GOOD DAY!" has been used in many films and tv shows over the years, including NewsRadio, the Simpsons, Seinfeld, King of the Hill, and That 70s Show, Tootsie and Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory…I believe I have found the source of it's original parsing.



I present, Mr. Foghorn Leghorn, circa 1946.

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/foghorn/fogleg32.wav

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/foghorn/fogleg21.wav

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/foghorn/fogleg65.wav



Yeah..I can' t find a wav file of him actually saying it…but I'm 99.9% sure that he was the first one. At least as far back as my little pea-brain can recall.



In other news...there are only 10 performances of Metaluna left to be had!
Don't be the last on your block to see it!

No comments: