Tuesday, March 24, 2009

happiness is...

Things that have made me happy recently.
In no particular order...

- The latest episode of Dollhouse. It's been a slow build, and part of me worries that Whedon is writing with the thought that DH will have the same short-lived fate as Firefly, but this week's show came out swinging. Hixx, you should really give this another shot. When Helo and Eliza D finally meet, it's on like MFing Donkey Kong.

- That the outro song for Dollhouse this week was "Sweet Dream" by Greg Laswell. I can't get enough of this album. In a way, I'm really happy I'm not in a relationship, because it has a very sweet romantic vibe to it...and I'm kinda glad that it won't have that brand on it 10 years from now, where I connect it to some guy I was schtupping.

- The name Ulysses Brambor. I invented this name today. I'm pretty sure I need to write a scene about Ulysses...or the people who've crossed paths with him.

- Vegas in the fall with M (fingers crossed) and S. Just the idea of this puts a huge smile on my face! But, even if it's just me and S, that would be delightful in and of itself. I'd get some solo time to crash out poolside while he's at his seminars and we'd hit some tasty meals and some even tastier table action. I was going to cash in my giant "coin jar" and throw it in my savings, but I think that I'll just keep adding to it until the trip, and use it for my spending money for the tables instead. Come here little coins!!

- Dusting off the creative part of my brain. I'm going to be directing a show in May-June (info forthcoming), and working on some pre-production schtuff with the producers has been delightful. I've been working out rehearsal agendas (what I want to accomplish in each) and thinking about format and technical ideas. Basically, my job is just to point the ship towards it's ultimate destination, the cast has to man the boat, stay on course and keep it afloat. While battling zombies.

- Olive crashing out on the bed last night. I don't know how many of you live alone and have a dog. (I'm not sure it's the same experience as a cat, so I'm keeping it specific.) Next month it will be 10 years since I ran into Olive on a farm down in TN. There is no doubt that Olive loves YOU, but, she's quite fickle when it comes to me. While she enjoys napping near me on weekend afternoons, she's gotten into the habit of crashing solo at night - either on the floor of my room or in the living room. She was gone by the time I woke up, but it was nice to fall asleep with the beast curled up next to me, once again.

Part of my brain tells me that she has stopped bunking with me regularly as a method to "wean" me. That way, one day, when she's gone on to that great bacon filled resort in the sky, it will be easier to get used to sleeping without her. (how hard was that sentence to type? HARD.)

The other part of my brain thinks she's just sick of my snoring.


- Meals with friends. Last week I had one dinner with J, another dinner with J, her sister A and a couple other ladies (S and R) and a spectacular lunch with JS (no relation to J.) Now, as much as I need to pinch some pennies, those meals were worth every cent (especially the one where J picked up the tab - thanks, yo!) Sometimes, I forget that friends (and alcohol) are gifts we give ourselves. And renewed friendships are like getting a round on the house. Holla.

- Youtube. My mom is a proud turtle owner. I said it.

She found one on the side of Interstate 57 on a trip to visit me in college...over 20 years ago. I often wonder, if he outlives her - would I adopt it, or find a nice home for it? I doubt after two decades of being hand fed, he'd survive in the wild. Then again, I know squat about turtles and their ability to adapt.

Anyway, maybe you've seen that video where the turtle is humping a shoe.
And it's making that noise? And you can see its turtle junk?

So...yeah.
A turtle humping a shoe....made me think about my mom.

So...I...called her. In 20 years, I've heard lots of stories about Saluki (the turtle), but I never heard about it humping stuff. I had to know.

As blunt as I normally am, I have to say, describing that video to my mom was hysterically awkward. Long story short, she had never witnessed this kind of behavior from her pet...but was beyond curious and had me send her the link.

I sent my mom a link to a turtle humping a shoe.

And all is right with the world.

4 comments:

Mr. Snrub said...

Might I suggest, when going to LV this fall, to go and see the celebrity impersonators/dealers at Imperial Palace. They're better than last time I was there. I told J-J that there was a Freddie Mercury impersonator that had me crying tears of amazed joy.

Oh, and try to see "LOVE" if you haven't. pricey, but, oh so worth it.

Erica said...

When you are in Vegas, if you happen to see Shannel from RuPaul's Drag Race, will you please take a picture and send it to me?

Also, I'm almost at the 10 year mark of having Parker, so I understand. We usually we don't let her sleep in the bed, but last night, I needed her in there. I am pretty sure she (all 20 pounds of her) slept on my chest, stomach, and shoulders all night long. It is of note that I did not have any nightmares.

xo

rebar said...

E - First, I have to figure out who Shannel is...I live a cable free lifestyle, so if it ain't on Hulu, I don't know about it.

But, if I do, I shall. Pour vous.

Olive does this thing were she wants to be in the room with me. I move, she moves. And occasionally she'll sit next to me or on top of me...but if I pet her, she gives me a look like she's gonna crack it open and then moves.

It's three parts hysterical and one part rejection.


Snrub - the free shows in the hotels are usually my favorite thing in Vegas. I've seen the best/worst Elvis at Harrah's and while I hate staying at New York, New York, I totally reccomend the Big Apple Bar - the band/singers there always put on a great show...for frees, yo!

I will make it a point to hit IP. I heart Freddie M. I heart him!!

Hixx said...

Alright, I'm hopping on the Dollhouse train. I can't not now.

How's that for a sentence?