Tuesday, March 3, 2009

major

First, the meme: 1. List three of your major artistic influences and three unexpected ones

It's kind of a hell when you have writer's block. Or is it writers' block? Not sure. Either way, "tomorrow" took a few more days than I originally planned.


My three major influences?

1) History. I know that's kind of all encompassing in a way, but looking over my work and life, it's the history of places and people and even things that seems to spur me on. It's reading about other lives and views and both building and reflecting and homaging those stories that excite me.

I am a big believer that unless we learn from the past, we are doomed to repeat the same mistakes. That we have to connect with the humanity of the folks who created the world we live in as much as the folks who live across the street...or across the globe.


Here's an example - The Tiffany Dome in the Chicago Cultural Center.



It's the largest of it's kind in the world. It's the kind of thing I could ponder for hours.

Imagining when the Cultural Center was first built - it was Chicago's original public library. All the people who came into the library from 1897, 1924, 1958, to borrow a book, or just get out of the rain.

What the laborers were like who created that astounding piece of art.
All the folks, who stared up at it over the years...like indoor stargazers.

Two of my favorite shows have always been Postmortem and Defending Your Life. The casts were both amazing to work with, but it was the chance to create a moment out of time or in another time...it's always been the most fun I've ever had.

So, yeah. History.
Be it small and personal or large and global...History eggs my brain on.


2) Studs Terkel/Errol Morris. I'm not sure if it's wrong to have these guys share a tier, but in my mind, they've had equal influence. Much like a branch off "History" - both these gents, in their own genres, have put spotlights on both the everyday folk and the celebrity. And really, aside from a publicist, there is no difference between folks and celebs.

Every person has a story, sometimes you have to really be patience, but sooner or later, they will tell it to you. It matters not the depth or breadth of the tale. All stories have the potential to connect the teller to the listener. And that connection? It makes the world go round. Or makes it go bumpy. But it makes it go.


3) Louis Armstrong. I don't tend to play those "what would your desert island Top 10" games. But if I crashed and was stuck on an island and I could only have one record (although I would wish for the whole catalogue) of one artist, it would be Louis Armstrong.

As a kid, when I said my prayers, I would silently ask God to make Louis Armstrong my guardian angel. He just always seemed so full of wisdom and joy and made amazing music.

Whenever I get really stuck...be it writing, or in my head, or in life? I listen to Louis. He is my reset button. He is who I celebrate with. He is who I cook or clean or screw around on the computer to...he fits every mood, every occasion. And at all times, his music gives me a peaceful mind.


Three unexpected artistic influences, which I will not elaborate on: The Quiet Man, Roderick Jaynes and Annie Duke.