Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Get Up On This: Spelling Bee



Okay, this one is slightly self-serving.
The gents who are producing THEMS are throwing this shindig. And I'll be there.
And I believe it's BYOB, so let's get a sixer and spell our brains out!
It's a Winner Take All Spelling Bee at the Playground Theater on May 2nd. Pay $15.00 and enter the Bee, or pay just $5 and watch!
The winner will take the money from gathered from the entrants!
So, the more people who play, the bigger the pot!
Doesn't this sound like fun? You can watch or play...and isn't there a part of you that's always wanted to try your skills in a Bee...but discovered that you can't go back to 5th grade?
I'm a decent speller, but a horrible typist...so who knows if I'll make it past the first round.
10pm - this Saturday night @ the Playground
$5 to Watch, $15 to Play!
For those of you who will be too far from Halsted to participate, I'll recommend a viewing of Spellbound which was the documentary of the 1999 Scripps National Spelling Bee. Think of it as a warm-up to the 82nd Scripps National Spelling Bee which is coming in about a month.
Last night I caught a bit of one of the early Harry Potter movies. Chamber of Secrets, methinks. Anyway, what struck me is how beautiful and descriptive the english language can be when you use it...correctly. Damn Brits always sounding so high falootin'!
I'm as guilty of buffoonery as the next guy, when it comes to the grunts and mutterings that fall out of my pie-hole. I think that's why I love the idea of spelling bees. It's not just about the ability to retain correct spellings and meanings of words. It's about WORDS. The noble building blocks for novels, poems, songs, conversations, philosophies, jokes, eulogies...hell. Even blogs.