Monday, April 21, 2008

100 years war


After a sweep of the Pirates (boo-rah!), the Cubs take on the Mets for two games starting tonight, then head for two in Colorado. We're at 12-6. A win tonight would put us in first place in the NL standings (for at least a day.) I'm trying my best to take this season one game at a time, so I'd like to just enjoy that idea for the rest of the afternoon.

Here's some random thoughts popping up in my head about the Cubbies:

I'm a lifelong Cubs fan. Meaning, I can't ever remember not being a Cubs fan. And like most fans, it links me to many memories - of childhood, of celebration (and plenty of defeat) and thoughts of my grandmother, Wanda. She passed away a little over three years ago - just before the White Sox won the World Series. I always say it was a blessing...because, as cliche as it sounds, it really would have killed her to watch the Sox bring home the title before her beloved Cubs. She bled blue, people...she bled blue.


Wrigley Field is a lot like the city of Chicago - her infrastructure remains largely ignored beyond her facade and continues to internally decay, but she has a timeless beauty that - like Algren's woman with a broken nose, despite her outward appearance, you're drawn to her. I admit, that Sox park (and that's what I call it, since I refuse to advertise some corporate entity) is an amazing venue. Great food, clean toilets, really nice layout. But, I'll cry like a baby if they ever tear Wrigley down...or change her name.


I wasn't a big fan of Pinella when they announced his imminent arrival in 2006. I've never been a big fan of bombastic managers (and nobody could ever top Lee Elia anyway) who think screaming and ejections are somehow linked to greatness. Still, slowly over the last two seasons, Lou has gotten (for the most part) on my good side.


Right now, I'm rooting for Fukudome. (And Felix Pie.) There's something about a 30 year old player, walking onto the grass at his first major league game...not to mention that he can't speak the language and is still hitting .317? It's a bit inspiring.

And while I'm all about being creative about your fandom support, I think this t-shirt is fucking bullshit. And so does he.
















Haven't we moved beyond this stereotype that stems from WWII propaganda? It's just offensive. There exists a fraction of fans that loves to embrace idea of the stoopid, drunk, asshat Cubs fan...they'll be the cocksnots wearing these.

I hope that the folks making money off this, whatever they buy with their ill gotten gains...I hope it blows up or melts down or causing them some minor, but lifelong injury. Like they lose an eye or walk with a limp for the next 50 years.


I'm not advocating violence, but can we all agree to harass the idiots that are stupid enough to wear these in public? This doesn't represent the Cubs, it doesn't represent the fans, it's not funny and it's just in bad taste. At least the mouth-breathers are willing to show themselves for who they are. This is one of those times when silence implies consent. So SPEAK UP, CUBS FANS. And Sox fans, and Cardinal fans and all fans of Baseball.



On the other hand, I think this pix below is a great and creative way for these kids to show their Fukudome-love. It's about symbolizing his country's history as warriors...a positive and heroic ideal. Rock on, little Cub fans...wherever you are.


For the record, spellcheck thinks "cocksnots" should be two words. I politely disagree.

1 comment:

Michael Brownlee said...

Okay, if the Cubs can't beat the Pirates you might as well hang up the glove and call it a season.