Tuesday, April 29, 2008

be a man, be a klug-man!

I've been feeling a bit under the weather - not really sick, but bordering on it. Just groggy enough not to realise that I missed celebrating my most favorite of holidays on Sunday. Jack Klugman's Birthday! A long time ago, I figured if folks were celebrating things like Licorice Day, Baby Massage Day, Wear Your Pajamas To Work Day, National Hairball Awareness Day - all actual holidays, by the by...that I would be entirely in the right to celebrate Mr. Jack Klugman!

a few reasons why I continue to honor Klugman:

1) Quincy, M.E. freaking ROCKS- way ahead of it's time (20yrs ahead of all the CSI-style shows)

2) Was married to Brett Somers (the comic foil to Charles Nelson Reilly on Match Game) for 54 yrs (although they split up after 20-some yrs...neither ever filed for divorce and they worked together and remained close friend until her death.) As a little girl, my two biggest influnces on what kind of "girl" I wanted to be when I grew up was Laverne DeFazio and Brett Somers. I wanted to be a wiseass that could kick ass...whose father owned a pizzeria and bowling alley. Dream Big People.

3) I once learned he had a "bitter feud" with Norman Fell. I find that fascinating to this day.


If you need more reasons, rent any top-rated TV show from the 50's. He probably had a guest star spot in at least one episode. Or better yet, rent Quincy. I recommend Season 2....that's when he really starts getting his righteous indignation on with all the bells and whistles.



100 years war

Cubs are back home tonight playing the Brewers. Right now, we're at 16-9 (again, just celebrating a day at a time.) We're statistically tied with St. Louis for the division (pending the results of tonights game, of course), and are 2nd in the NL overall - Arizona is at 19-7.

Not too bad for the end of April, Chicago. Not too bad at all.



you don't know jack!

A group of friends have been, well, obsessed with playing QUIZZO (the pub trivia game) - for the past few weeks. Right now (according to our glorious leader), we are 2nd in our Division (Midwest States) and 4th in the National standings (statistically, we may be sharing 4th with multiple teams at this time.)

We've always finished in the top 3 - once in 3rd, most in 2nd, with 3 WINS! We've also set the pub record for high score on our second win, which has yet to be breeched.

Anyway, the National Finals are in Atlantic City the first weekend in June. Right now, there's no way I can go - I just can't afford it right now. But everyone's excited about the prospect of going, so folks are talking about holding a fundraiser to offset the cost of going. Hell, we've even started talking about renting an RV! Which in my mind, is a bad 80's disaster comedy waiting to happen.

We'll see if we can pull it off. It sounds crazy to haul all the way to AC for a silly trivia contest...but then again, why else would you drive half way across the nation? I mean, besides the Las Vegas style gambling? Personally, I suspect I may be too old to embrace the road trip...with 6-10 bodies. As the years pass, I'm really good about sharing everything I have...except my personal space. I'm a cranky old goat when it comes to that. Time shall tell...

1 comment:

Miroslav said...

You do know Jack, and it would be a crying shame if everyone else went except for you. If we figure out a way to go (even in a rented RV) you will go.