Tuesday, April 15, 2008

the chicago way














Capone sends a cougar, you send cops who let loose with 15-18 shots in a residential neighborhood to take it down.

That's the Chicago Way.


Actually, while I'm a big fan of preserving wildlife and spaying/neutering your domesticated pets, I think the cops (as Wild West as the shooting got) did the right thing.

This was a wild, dangerous animal running around an extremely populated area in late afternoon with children running in their yards and adults walking home from work - folks out and about enjoying the milder temps. There wasn't anytime to bring in someone to tranquilize this poor 150 lbs of beastie.

This happened in Roscoe Village To give folks outside of Chicago a reference point, this neighborhood is no more than 1.5 miles from Wrigley Field. (go cubs!) So, it's not out in some boondocky burb with lots of open fields or reserves. Nobody has a clue on where this cougar came from or how it ended up around Roscoe and Hoyne - it's the first cougar to be killed in Chicago since the city was founded back in the 19th century.

Still, looking at this pix, I can't help but look at it and compare it to a crime scene like when they shot down Dillinger. Maybe it's because they left the body uncovered. I know it's not a person, but it still seems oddly...disrespectful.




Dillinger Cat

Cougar CSI (note the bullet round markers)

Erp.
........
K just forwarde me the link to a different kind of cougar.
It's pretty funny...until Cameron Diaz shows up.


1 comment:

Tamster said...

I can't help but think there was SOME better solution. I wasn't there, but I have a problem with this! 15-18 shots? Talk about overkill (no pun intended). No one could wait for a tranquilizer gun?
"ooooo, and endanger the children?" Isn't the COUGAR the endangered one here? At least a protected species! I haven't noticed a shortage of children lately -- except for well-behaved ones. THERE we have a lack.
What ever happened to ZPG? (Zero Population Growth, youngsters -- only make as many as it takes to replace you; no more.)
And don't get me started on people having kids for all the wrong reasons. Want someone to take care of you when you get older? Gee, seen our unvisited guests at retirement homes & assisted living facilities lately? Want something all your own? Try a plant. Learn to propagate it & you can have great grand-plants in mere months! With people that normally takes around 40 yrs (unless you're part of the Spears clan). If you doubt your ability to sustain a plant, consider a tattoo or ten.
OK, so this ranting is really just to take the focus of my soft underbelly.
Truth is, as I laid in bed petting my cat last night, I was unable to control my tears for the fascinating, beautiful, amazing creature that found itself in the wrong place at the wrong time.