Friday, September 26, 2008

load 15 tons

Last year about this time, I applied for another position in my office. I'd have to travel a whole lot more, but on the whole, it would be a large step into something better. Another co-worker (who had done the exact same job in another division of our company) got the job. And at the time, I even said, "Hell. Even I'd hire him. He's got the experience and can jump right in."

I worked with him during the transition and then my boss was all like, "Enough. Go back to your own corner and make yer own widgets!"

For the record, I do not make widgets. I sit on my ass in front of a computer and try to turn a dime into a dollar all day long. I just like the word widget.

Cut to today. Turns out that same co-worker "has left the building." Position is open and I'm wondering if its worth throwing my hat in the ring again. Or if I even want to throw my hat in the ring at all. The budget for that position has been cut dramatically, but I would still have to start traveling again.

The guy who worked under that co-worker should step up and take that job (and then I would be well suited to take the "underling's" job), but Mr. Underling really likes exactly what he does now - and has made it known that he does not seek any additional responsibilities that include budgets and planning.

What's likely to happen is that we won't fill that position for the rest of the year and just split the duties (thereby, possibly saving someone else from the ever-looming axe.) The housing market and related economies are killing business right now. So, I'm near positive that they won't start looking to fill the position for at least a couple months and spread the work inhouse, instead.


I'm unsure of what I should do...should the position open up.
I really could use a nice bump in pay - and a change of responsibilities.
But I'm not sure that "weekly travel" is what I'm looking for right now.


And if I didn't mention it, I'm really gonna miss the co-worker who left. He was a good guy and I really liked working with him. He was one of the very few people at my office who would show his appreciation for the effort one put forth.

I'm hoping he's ending up on his feet and in a better place that this widget factory. (We don't make widgets.)

5 comments:

music is bliss said...

Do you know why he left? Maybe contacting him and getting his spin on the job might be a place to start?

The Rev said...

Okay... so let me get this straight... you have a dream where you're stressing out about wanting increased income, then you remember this "unexplained" Source of 1.2 million and you get all relaxed, 'cause you know it's all covered and all good. Then the job you applied for last year suddenly opens up and you're wondering if you should take it or not 'cause you're not sure about the travel????? Dude...are you blonde or something? APPLY FOR THE JOB!!!

Geesh......

rebar said...

Actually, I had that dream a few weeks ago...

And if that job was anywhere near 1.2 mil, I would put a gun to HR's head until they gave it to me.

The travel would be every other week - in some cases back to back weeks.

I have one word for you...Olive.

music is bliss said...

Dontcha just love your sister sometimes??? ; )

music is bliss said...

Dontcha just love your sister sometimes??? ; )