Thursday, September 11, 2008

plan of action

I need a break from the election cycle.

For reals. I keep having the same infuritaing conversation about the most incompetent VP candidate in the history of the universe...and it's making me lose sleep. So, I've created a three-tiered solution to regain my footing in a sane world.


One) I signed up to help with a Voters Registration Drive in Michigan next month.

I have no doubt that Obama will win in Illinois (my home state), so I'm headed to a "battleground" state to help folks get signed up. I've already decided that I'm not a canvasser. My feet are on the blink and my blood pressure can barely take a civil disagreement on Palin. I think I would implode if I tried to convey my feelings and thoughts over and over and over and over and over again to folks who may or may not even be interested in the election process.

Registering folks is a non-partisan act, and one that I think is extremely worthwhile.

And, if, perchance, certain folks get up in my grill about Obama, in this scenario, I can deal with. I'm not there to convince you, just to get you registered. If you're looking for an arguement, just sign your name and get your voters reg card and then keep on walking, Mac.

Every year a little peice of me dies when I hear about the low voter turnout. The turnout this year for Super Tuesday gave me a glimmer of hope that more folks might get the lead out and pull the lever. I honestly think that every person I meet next month, no matter how they intend to vote, will fill me up with a bit of joy knowing that they are actively participating in our democracy.

The Constitution is the construct that makes me proud to be an American. The idea of "one man, one vote" makes me weak at the knees. The fact that only 60% of eligible voters voted in 2004 (the most since Reagan in 1980) and that 40% (usually more) of folks blow off that responsiblity....makes me want to take that 40% out to the woodshed and blow their heads up a la Scanners.

It's a fact that registration drives increase turnout. I'm 100% behind turnout.


Two) See more theater.

I've got a fire in my belly to see theater. Admittedly, I got a bit burned out on for a while. Constantly being broke and holed up like a hermit didn't really help...but I'm excited about a lot of shows I'm reading about, so I've been making plans and buying tickets. Hell, I'll still be broke...more ramen = more shows!

Here's some productions that I'm planning to see:

Fake Lake/The Neo-Futurists - Sept 19th (closing night)
Our Town/ The Hypocrites - Sept 27th
The People's Temple/American Theater Co - TBD...by Sept 28th
The Glass Menagerie/Shattered Globe - Sunday Matinee on Oct 19th.
Kafka on the Shore/Steppenwolf - Before 9/28 (for 2 for 1 tix!)
Ten Cent Night/Chicago Dramatists- TBD Sept/Oct
Patient #1/WNEP - October - multiply times, I suspect!

Fake Lake is set at Lake Powell, man-made reservoir in the middle of the Utah desert. It is performed in a local public (indoor) pool. The creativity and humor of the Neo-F's rarely disappoint, so I'm pretty stoked to see this show.

The Hypocrites version of Our Town is actually the remount from last season. The word of mouth on this show was YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS, IT'S FREAKING AWESOME. I've heard from more than one person that this was the finest production of this play they had seen. And if you're a theater type, who's seen or performed this show multiple times...that's saying something. Our Town is of those plays that in average hands can be the biggest snore ever...but with a strong cast and stellar direction it can be incredibly moving. Woot.

The People's Temple is the story of Jonestown from the perspective of the survivors and family members (based on actual interviews) and was created by the folks who wrote The Laramie Project. 2008 is the 30th anniversary of the Jonestown. I remain fascinated by this story. Also, there's live gospel music. Duuuude. For someone who doesn't believe in Jesus or attend church, I looooooves gospel music. ATC consistantly puts out quality productions, so I'm...crap. Why am I suddenly stuck with puns in my brain. I hate puns. I'm jonesin' to see this one as well. sigh. It's official. I hate my brain. Fie, brain!

My sister is visiting next month and I want to take her to see The Glass Menagerie. Years and years ago, we shared a Tennessee Williams evening of improv, so I think it's fitting to sink our teeth into the real deal. Also, Mr. Dave Dastmalchian is in this show (he played my son in Metaluna) and I'm excited to watch him perform (although, I suspect it'll make me want to curl up in a wheel chair next to him onstage.)

I haven't seen a mainstage Steppenwolf show since The Pillow Man (which a friend offered a freebie tix to) and for some reason, I'm drawn to this show. These tix are half price ($20 ea) until Sept 28th. Anyone want to meet up there?

Ten Cent Night is the latest from local playwright, Marisa Wegrzyn. I keep missing out on Wegrzyn's stuff, but I like the sound of her stories and characters. Also, ya gotta support the local talent, kids! (at least before they shuffle off to NY or start writing for LOST.)

Patient #1 is a rare production in that the script was not WNEP-penned. It's a political satire by Donald Freed*, set in 2009 at an elite psychiatric clinic in Florida, it revolves around a heavily sedated President Bush, after he has left the Oval Office. WNEP produces the US premiere! Uhhh. Yup. Uh...although, it would help if the home team had a web page up on it. Be right back...gotta make a call!

Most of these shows are $25 or less. Although, a couple are $35.
Lots of $20 and under options around town of equally good stuff out there.

Go see and support Off-Loop theater! It does a brain good!


Three) See Burn After Reading.

I rarely see movies on opening weekend. I want everyone to make their box office back and everything, but...I'm a loner, dude. I don't like having a crowd of strangers up in my grill (or sitting ANYwhere next to me while I sit in the dark and watch a flick.)

A couple weekends ago, my friend Rachel and I caught the opening weekend of Pineapple Express. It was fantastic and I laughed my fool ass off. But, it was also crowded and the laughter was so loud (including my own) that I missed a lot of the little throw-away dialogue that is probably the stuff that makes me laugh the hardest.

I'll admit it. I'm not good at sharing. (and) I like to pretend I'm one of those creepy eccentrics that has their own viewing theater at home.

While I'm not going to see BAR this weekend, I will see it very, very soon. This movie has my two favorite words on it in reference to the Coen Bros: "Written By." Sure they can adapt stuff well, but my favorite Coen fare is stuff they self generate. I submit the following to evidence such:

Raising Arizona
O Brother Where Art Thou

The Man Who Wasn't There
Miller's Crossing
Fargo
Barton Fink
The Big Lebowski
The Hudsucker Proxy
Blood Simple

Man. That is a pedigree with some KICK ASS WRITING.
Wild horses high on E couldn't keep me from this movie.



I'll let you know come November 1st how my three tiered plan worked out.


*according to Wikipedia, Freed had an association with Jonestown and visited there prior to the massacre. Hmmm. That's just weird.

No comments: