Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The List is Life

With the stock market in a current free fall, the daily harangues from my Republican father, Ike's death tolls, McPalin, off duty cops capping their own kids - all buzzing in my cranium, I need to focus on something positive.

Seems like lots of good stuff is actually peeping out at me today. What the hell. I'll give Oprah's methodology a shot and make a list. See if that exercise makes me appreciate the universe 8.5% more than had I not.

In no particular order (with the exception of number 1):

1. #4 - aka the Cubs magic number. Could clinch NL division this week!
2. Rachael Yamagata - This former vocalist for Chicago funk band Bumpus, is dropping her new solo album like it's hot and playing at the Lakeshore Theater on October 1st. Tix are $20. Right now, I'm a maybe for the concert, but a definite for her new album.
3. Dave Lykins - They made him put a label on it...and he named it "Subversive Country." If you like Steve Earle, you'll want to do yourself a favor and pick up Mr. Lykins' new cd, Blurry White Guy. I'm in for two copies, yo!
4. Darwin Award Nominee - SUV BMW, meet Cal-Sag Channel. Cal-Sag, meet BMW.
5. Marriage - I know have friends on every side of this coin, but two people I know who adore each other are getting hitched this weekend, and even though I won't be there to witness it, just thinking about it fills me with a large amount of happy.
6. The Forecast - After driving past the floodplain that is my hood last night, I'm ecstatic that we have dry skies and warm temps for the next week. Let the waters ebb, my brotha.
7. Improv Everywhere - Is bringing it's mp3 experiment to Chicago next month. I'm not sure if I'll have the stamina after that day long voter reg event in Michigan...but I'm putting it on my calendar.
8. Plan! - My three-tiered plan starts on Friday with Fake Lake!
9. Shirt! - I'm currently wearing my new favorite shirt. I call it "Ode to Alan Alda." While it isn't a match, it reminds me in color (blue and white) and tone (kimono style) of something I recall "Hawkeye" wearing a lot. Last weekend, I wore it with my army green khakis -which led to this Alda-related epiphany. I had to stop myself from giggling out loud and pulling people aside to tell them, "If my outfit were a tv show, it would be M*A*S*H."
10. Mad Men - Disk 3 of Season 1 should be in my mailbox when I get home. I can't wait until after the CAPS meeting to dig back into it!


Okay, I'm sure there is more, but my computer is making googley eyes and running super slow...so I'm going to post this before el-crasho-mundo.


This is an older song of Rachael's that I really love.
Click here for Rachael's new video (if you are in a maudlin mood, steer clear. )


4 comments:

music is bliss said...

Nice gratitude list! I'm thinking I need to do the same.

Hey, I recently labeled Mike's music (the awesome boyfriend). He doesn't really like being thought of as "folk," so I came up with "Subversive Acoustic." ; )

Hopefully you'll get to meet him someday. He has a great intelligent, sarcastic sense of humor...

rebar said...

SUBVERSIVE is to 2008, what INDIE was to 1998 , what GRUNGE was to 1990, what ALTERNATIVE was to 1983.

We all just want to be the original bad ass.


I would like to meet Mike.
I have like 94% of the Mikes I have met, so I'm very optimistic!

music is bliss said...

And so yesterday he ended up at the Cocoa Obama headquarters and made a donation, AND he's scheduled to play/sing at ObamaAwareness Fest at the end of the month.

You guys could have some interesting conversations...

So Paula says the remaining 6% must be your brother?

; )

rebar said...

He's definitely part of that percentage. Unfortunately, he's not flying solo.


Still, most Mike's I've met rock.
Yours seems to do so literally. (rim-shot.)