Friday, September 5, 2008

sounds

I wasn't ever the musicphile of my group. I've never been one to be the first to find that unknown band that's about to blow up or that rarified dusty that inspired ten other bands to greatness.

[With the exceptions of Fiona Apple, the Mighty Blue Kings and Rodrigo y Gabriela (not new to you, oh so wiser than me reader, but newer to at least a few folks in my circle.) And let me tell you, Fiona's the bittersweet one. I freaking love her music, I truly think she's like a savant with the piano and orchestration, but that girl is fucking batshit crazy. I'll never see her in concert again because I had to restrain myself from walking on stage and slapping the snot out of her. Twice.]


This song has been in and out of my cranium for several weeks. I'm not sure why it's implanted itself, but I suppose that might mean that I like it. I can't decide. It's catchy in it's way. And oddly hopeful while still remaining kinda mournful, so...it's got that going for it.

Mainly, I just think the video is so simple and in a way, elegant, that it makes me cry with glee.
The colors, the lovely little details, that choreography that reminds me of the stuff you did when you were in 7th grade and nobody was watching you act a fool.

If I could get a print of the shot with him sitting in the ice machine (around 1:47 min...or 3:05...or 4:10...I can't pick!) I would plaster it over my bed, so every morning when I woke up, I'd see this fantasic picture and know that the world is a glorious place of contradictions and humor.

Mr. Greg Laswell




And yeah, that's Elijah Wood.

What? Like Frodo can't show up in a video once in a while?

1 comment:

Michael Brownlee said...

This song and video are great. Thanks for turning me on to him.