Thursday, October 9, 2008

eleven random facts

1. I got a haircut yesterday.

2. I have (seemingly instantly) developed an adversion to drinking out of aluminum cans. I can only drink out of actual glassware or plastic bottles. I actually poured my Fresca into an empty water bottle. It tasted much better.

3. When I talk to my father on the phone (on my drive home from work) I have started to hit the mute button just so I can punch the ceiling and yell at the top of my lungs, "OMG! Listen to me! You're driving me insane." Then I take a deep breath, hit unmute and say, "I am listening. I just don't have anything else to add to this particular topic."

4. They found a new species of crab off the coast of Tasmania. In fact, they found 85 other previously unknown species of marine life. Science rocks.




5. I think my new haircut makes me look like Grandpa Munster (less the bald monk's cap.)

6. That crab reminds me of that flaky peanut butter candy from my childhood. At least I think it was peanut butter flavored. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

7. I talk to my father almost daily. I am quite aware that I am probably one of only two people he talks to on a regular basis. It breaks my heart in two when I think about it for too long.

7. While that crab elicits happy, joyful feelings of wonderment, this picture of a giant rabbit instills fear and loathing in me. They are bred in Germany and this gent is selling them to North Korea as a possible food source. This bunny is 8.5kg...that's 18.7 lbs, American. Their max weight is around 23 pounds. Bunnies are fucking mean little shits. I can't imagine something this big being so sweet looking, but decidedly ill-tempered. It's just plain creepy.


9. My dog is 11.8 lbs. She loves chasing squirrels and bunnies. That bunny could pop her head off like a daisy.

10. I'm going to name that new crab, Horace.

11. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a nightmare about that giant bunny at some point.

Least interesting fact: I can't sleep because my brain can't stop freaking out about the impact of the economic clusterfuck. To combat the stress, I watched Strictly Ballroom.

Question: Why does ballroom dancing make me clap my hands like the village idiot and then burst into happy tears? (This is not new. Watching people hug to a Beach Boys song has the same effect.) This movie makes has been making me burst into tears since 1992.

I highly recommend bursting into tears after watching an awesome movie as a sleep aid.

[To clairify, "Strictly Ballroom" is an awesome movie. "Love Actually" is not. Just the end part at the airport makes me cry. Because I'm a fucking pussy.]

3 comments:

Old Ned said...

I think I remember that crusty, crumby peanut butter candy.

When I was a kid, one of my favorite pets was a hermit crab I bought from a tourist stand at some beach in Virginia. Over several months I enjoyed watching the creature grow, abandon and move into a progressively larger sea shells.

We kept the crab in a bird cage, with bars with intervals close enough to prevent the creature from escaping while wearing its shell.

Ultimately, the crab proved to be smarter than we were. One day it simply shed its shell and slipped through the bars naked, and considerably slimmer. It took us days to find him, dead and shrivelled up in a distant corner of the house. (Maybe he wasn't so smart after all!)

Years later, as an adult, I once caught "the crabs." Those weren't nearly as much fun as my hermit crab, but considerably harder to get rid of.

rebar said...

>>I think I remember that crusty, crumby peanut butter candy.

Validation! It's all I was seeking. Thank you, sir.


>>When I was a kid, one of my favorite pets was a hermit crab

We had two (possibly three) and kept them in a fish tank.


>>It took us days to find him, dead and shrivelled up in a distant corner of the house.

Really? Days? Man. When ours died, it was like it set off a H-bomb of nasty.

I remember coming home one day and walking into the room and it stank to holy hell.

I was in the midst of realising that one of our crabs had died, when my little sister grabbed her nose and asked, "What's that smell?!"

"It's the STINK of DEATH!"

I'm pretty sure I then tried to make her the dead hermit crab and she ran out of the room screaming.

Then again, years later, I locked her in our scary basement with the lights off and sang the Freddy Krueger song.

Trust me when I say, she deserved all of it.



>>Years later, as an adult, I once caught "the crabs." Those weren't nearly as much fun as my hermit crab, but considerably harder to get rid of.


So noted.

Old Ned said...

Funny, I don't remember my dead hermit crab stinking. It makes sense that it should have, but I have no recollection of there being any sort of odor -- maybe being out of its shell allowed the vapors to dissipate, or perhaps it had something to do with its diet.

Isn't nature strange and wonderful!