Monday, October 6, 2008

pull the string

Are you registered? This is it, my friend. Not sure? Check HERE if you live in Chicago proper. Here if you live elsewhere in Illinois. It will show your active (or inactive) status and show your polling location.

DEADLINE TO REGISTER IN ILLINOIS IS TUESDAY, OCTOBER 7TH (at midnight!)

If you live outside of Illinois, use this amazing thing called "the internet" and google it up. For some states the deadline has passed to register. Get off the dime, my friends!


Early voting isn't just for breakfast any more. In Illinois, it starts NEXT WEEK on October 13th - that's Columbus Day, yo! My regular voting polling place is just over a block from my front door...but the lines can get crazy even early AM on election day. And this year, I think turnout is going to be even higher.

My prefered early voting polling place is over a dozen blocks away - but you can vote ANY DAY between October 13th thru the 30th! Monday-Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. And...you can vote in any of 51 locations throughout Chicago. You just need your photo ID. Dude! On Election Day you can ONLY vote at your registered polling place. Early voting = 51 locations!!

Hell, you can even vote on Sunday in Chicago...but you'll have to go downtown to the actual Election Board Offices on Washington (9 a.m. to Noon) to do that.

But what a great way to spend a Sunday! Take the el downtown (it's pretty quiet on Sunday mornings) hit the voting booth on Washington and then enjoy this great city... grab brunch, hit a museum, visit the Lincoln Memorial (in Grant Park), walk down to the Yacht Club and watch the last of the weekend sailors, window shop along State or Michigan, take a riverboat tour...the options are endless.

In fact...I may try to rally some folks for an Early Voting Day of Hijinx! This sounds like an awesome plan!

Vote at...
- 644 W. Belmont Ave...lunch at La Creperie an indie flick at the Landmark!
- 1145 W. Wilson Ave...munch on indian food at Marigold, then catch an Annoyance Show!
- 2333 W. Sunnyside Ave...yummy fish tacos at Los Nopales and then a flick at the Davis!
- 1210 W. Elmdale Ave...catch a show at The Raven Theater (Odin's Horse by ICT)
- 7340 N. Rogers Ave...cross the city limits to Evanston and hit the CineArts.

The options are various!


Another reason I'm early voting...I'm still holding out hope that I might get tapped to be an election day judge...although, this late in the game, I'm not holding my breath.

2 comments:

-j-j- said...

You should work for the Chicago Board of tourism! All these options sound like I'm on vacation already.

What are YOU doing? I may tag along, if I can.

I have a little twinge of ceremony in my heart that tugs me towards voting on election day...we'll see.

rebar said...

Even though I'm a big procrastinating slug most of the time? I luv dis town.

I haven't decided what I'm doing...my elbow can be bent in any of those directions.

I love voting on election day as well...there is something about history and tradition about it...I even love waiting in line knowing all of the folks around me are my neighbors WHO CARE ENOUGH TO VOTE!

...and then, as it happens every year, someone will open their yap and start speaking LOUDLY and TERSELY. Either it's someone WHO'S VOTING AT THIS POLLING PLACE FOR THE LAST 25 YEARS and WHY AREN'T I LISTED ON THE ROLL, I ALWAYS VOTE HERE.

Or the anal retentive election judge who is all WAIT AT THE LINE. WAIT AT THE LINE! (beat.) Next. YOU. THERE. NEXT. JEEZ!

I don't know...there's always one loud-mouth jackass that ruins my reverie.

I haven't had that problem since I started doing the early vote. So, it's sorta beginning to win out for me.

Also, there is no...I ran out of time today! I'm amazed that anyone would take the time to register to vote and then...not. Oof.

Right now, I plan to vote on the afternoon of the 18th. If you decide you're up for some hijinx, lemme know.