Wednesday, November 19, 2008

blah de blah: review

Can't quite focus my brain enough to think of a proper blog topic. So, I'm riding the brainless tide. I'll just blurby blurb about movies/DVDs I have recently watched and my brainless thoughts upon them.

Spaced: The Complete Series - from the Shaun of the Dead folks. I'm still in the midst of these, but Season 1 was pretty good. You can see the birth of SOTD happening in front of you. They just released this on DVD in the States, and this is a fun series with some enjoyable characters.

The Wire: Season 3 - While I'm less interested in the politico machinations this season focused on, I did enjoy the conclusion of the Barksdale saga. Even though you saw it coming like a semi bearing down on you and blaring on the horn, there was a sense of satisfaction all the same. S4 is already queued up.

Battlestar Galactica: Razor - Not my favorite of the BG series, but it was cool to get the backstory on Pegasus. I just think it had too many irons in the fire for its length. Still, living without cable (and Season 4, it's a nice placebo.)

Mad Men: Season 1 - SO FREAKING GOOD. I can't believe I have to wait FOREVER until S2 comes out! The number #1 reason I would get cable, if I had the dough.

Sex And The City: The Movie - Enjoyable. Better transition to the big screen than I had thought. While Jennifer Hudson did fine with her part, I think that whole "Carrie needs an assistant" thing was kinda a waste. Why introduce new characters instead of letting us enjoy seeing some of our favorite second bananas like Stafford and Anthony or hell? Who wouldn't want to run into Skipper 10 years later? Seemed like a missed opportunity.

Transsiberian - It took me a while to figure out that this movie was written/directed by the same guy who did Happy Accidents with Vincent D'Onofrio. Oddly, I had the exact same reaction to both movies. I wanted to like the movie more than I did. The acting was good, but there was just something that disconnected me with either the writing or the direction. It didn't impact me the way a really good story usually does. Utterly "close, but no cigar."

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army - Guillermo del Toro is so deft at making a fantasy world look so amazingly lush and full. But, after Pan's Labyrinth, the storyline is just too one-dimensional for me. Worth watching, though. It's so pretty and crazy imaginative. It's like if you cracked his brain open, all the characters in Grimm's Fairy Tales would fall out.


Watch them. Don't watch them. It's all the same to me and my unfocused brain.
Let's hope my cranium steps it up for Quizzo tonight.

No comments: