Tuesday, November 18, 2008

.02 and other loose change

Robitussin DM MAX is my new best friend.

Just two doses in and I feel better than I have in over a week. I'm finally getting rid of the gunk that's been sitting in my chest since the election. I was shocked to notice an actual pep in my step earlier today. I think it's worth noting. Especially since I started my morning by walking to the car....and realising it was only Tuesday.

I had convinced myself it was Wednesday. Convinced.

After two weeks of convalescing, there's lots of stuff on the radar:

1) Headed back for another round of Quizzo tomorrow night...which makes me extra happy I'm feeling better
2) Poker fundraiser from WNEP on Saturday - more info soon.
3) SOIREE DADA opens it's first ever Christmas show Friday!

Rooty toot.



In other news...I am 100% against Hilliary as Secretary of State.

Don't get me wrong. I'm completely for her being part of the Cabinet, just not in that role. Mr. Silverstein over at Harper's put it quite concisely.



1) Hillary Clinton will have her own agenda (as will her husband). She’s not a team player and will bring in a crew of cronies whose chief aim will be to promote the boss, not the administration. Obama may wake up one day and discover that Hillary has decreed a new “Clinton Doctrine” of foreign policy.

2) It would be impossible, politically, to fire Hillary. No matter what she says or does, or how insubordinate, Obama will be stuck with her as long as she wants to stay.

3) Her husband is a walking conflict of interest. Bill helps a Canadian businessman land a uranium contract in Kazakhstan, and soon afterwards the businessman contributes to the Clinton Foundation. Bill’s personal and business dealings are embarrassing enough without Hillary heading the State Department.

4) The Clinton style of management–for example, pitting one faction of staff against another–would be a disaster at the State Department. Just look at how well it worked on the campaign trail.

5) And the strongest strike of all against Hillary as secretary of state… look at who endorses her. (Kissinger)

Listen. I'm all about appointing a strong personality with an independent constituency into a Cabinet position. I'm very excited about the idea of a truly bi-partisan (or HELL, a tri-partisan...quad-partisan?) cabinet. I'd love to see some Greenies and Independents onboard as well. I think that a variety of positions and backgrounds can strengthen a team.

But, I really think Hilliary in that specific role is a mistake.

Hillary opposed every significant peace initiative he put forward during the campaign (including the withdrawal timetable for Iraq.)

She called his policies "naive" and "dangerous"...and now she's going to be the face of those policies?

As here in the states, Obama seems to inspire a sense of change and enthusiasm across the globe. I just don't see Hilliary stoking that sense of diplomacy.

There are better uses for her skill set and better positions in an Obama Cabinet she would be suited for.



I just hope he gets it right and doesn't rush to this decision without fully weighing the consequences. The Clintons are a complex pandora's box. That's all I'm saying.

No comments: