Monday, November 3, 2008

It's on like Donkey Kong

As I ponder what my experience might be tomorrow as a novice election judge, I'm torn between utter excitement at being part of the process (and a bit of history), and the idea of a day that starts at 4am and may end 15 or 16 hours later.

Someone asked me why I'd sign up in the first place...

Tomorrow, there will be Republicans and Democrats and Independents and Libertarians and Greenies. I want them all to vote. The one idea that they emphasized at my training is that my job as an Election Judge was not to try to impede people from voting, but to make sure that everyone has a voice and all registered voters get their votes counted.

No matter how you vote, I want to make sure your vote counts.

Is the world free from corruption? No. I doubt it ever will be. But if enough of us stand together and say NO and play a part, maybe we can shake some of it loose and...hell, I'll say it...

Let freedom ring.





Now if I can get my lazy, out of shape ass to my polling place at 5am to prepare for you, YOU can get your ass over there and VOTE. (Maybe even unplug your earbuds and actually talk to your fellow line holders. They might be happy to see you too.)

While I will be impartial tomorrow, today I can say, I want Obama to win by a wide margin. A WIDE MARGIN. Only way that will happen is if everyone who is committed to voting gets out and VOTES.

It's going to be a beautiful Indian Summer day.
Don't phone it in. Get yer ass out and VOTE.

2 comments:

NotNits said...

Okay, which one of these was you?

...one judge was drunk, one was being abusive and one was impersonating an election judge.

rebar said...

I was the one impersonating a drunk while abusing myself.

Of course, I was drunk on the will of the people!

Actually, I didn't start drinking until AFTER the time I had to "assist" a voter (along with a Republican judge) to place her vote...for McCain.

Oof. That was like plunging a shiv into your on belly. And then twisting it a few times.

While not making a sound.