Thursday, November 13, 2008

seven

Oof. I'm still having a LOT of trouble sleeping. It's part hacking cough and part general stress. I finally fell asleep around 3am. Woke up before my alarm with a raging headache at 5:38am.

That's less than 3 full hours.

Holy fuck.

Wish me luck making it through this day with the ability to form full sentences.


In other news...back in October, Goose tagged me with one of those meme thingamabobs. It's been on my "to do" list for a while now, so might as well kick out the jams while I'm thinking about it.

List seven random and/or weird facts about myself.

1. I have twice the number of platelets in my system than the average human. This has been verified by the fine folks at LifeSource, where I am a registered blood (and sometime platelet) donor. My veins aren't what they used to be and you need hard core veins for apheresis donation, so I don't get to donate those as much as I'd like.

2. I can only knit rectangles. I've tried to learn how to read patterns and I'm ridiculously inept. I have made about 7 different scarves...so far. If you want a scarf, I'm your Huckleberry.

3. I have lived in my condo for over 4 years...and I've yet to hang anything on the walls. Sufficed to say, I have major nesting issues. I have lots of artwork to hang, but I just can't pull the trigger. Good news...I did finally get those blinds up last month. (Thanks to my big sister visiting.) And that only took a year. So, hope springs. Sorta.

4. When I finally met one of my personal heroes, Studs Terkel, the only thing I could think of to ask to have him write as he autographed my book was, "Happy Birthday, Rebecca!" It was no where near my birthday. Admittedly, I should have thought that one out a bit more.

5. In my 8th grade yearbook, nearly all the messages are made out to my nickname from that year..."E.T." I can't remember how it started, but kids would literally address me as E.T. in the hallways. And it was completely without menace or irony. They weren't making fun of me, it was just...a nickname. I was a huge fan of the movie (and Spielberg in general.) I even had a t-shirt that had an iron-on decal on the front and "E.T." in a velvety monogram on the back. My yearbook is full of, "E.T., Stay Sweet!" and "Have a great summer, E.T!" and "Let's hang out this summer, E.T.!" For reals.

6. I have a practical joke that I literally plan on revealing at my funeral. For the record, I don't do practical jokes. I think they are petty, juvenille and 99% of the time, not funny enough to match the effort. I kind of stumbled into this, but it's been in the works for nearly 15 years already and only one other person is in on it. I just hope I can pull it off...from beyond the grave. Of course, with my luck, everyone will just look around at each other incredously and say, "WTF? Are you kidding me with that shit?" And then storm out. I soooo want people to knock my casket over and then storm out.

7. I once stalked a local band from Chicago to a gig in Michigan. No. You've never heard of them. And it was definitely more under the "stalker" umbrella than the "overly zealous fan." I convinced another friend on the fly to drive to Michigan (and stay at some fleabag motel) just to hear them do the same set we saw a few days earlier, in a teeny tiny club with about 30 folks present...and I still didn't have the nerve to go up to the band and say, "What up, yo!" I'm shaking my head right now as I type this. Chicken Shit 20-something. Nowadays, I'd at least have the temerity to send them a round.


Since most of the folks who I know who have a blog have already been tagged, I'll invite my loyal readers (all 4 of you) to list 7 random things about themselves in the comments.


3 comments:

music is bliss said...

1. I have never had coffee. Nope, never, not even a sip. Love the smell but have had no desire to imbibe. As a matter of fact, I would love it if, etched into my tombstone was, “Never drank coffee.”
2. I have a second degree blackbelt in karate. Haven’t trained in several years now (for various reasons), but was a serious student for ten years. Even married another blackbelt (we’re divorced now. ; )
3. Former personal hero story: I met L.L. Cool J when I was 23 years old on the streets of NYC. He was standing right out in front of FAO Schwartz, watching some breakdancers. Walked up to him, he shook my hand, and what did I say? “Will you marry me?” Obviously, it didn’t happen (the marriage itself). But I did get my picture taken with him.
4. I once snorted a line of Sweet ‘N Low (which happens to be the only thing I have ever snorted, just so ya know.). Just to be funny. That entire night, every time I swallowed I tasted it. I wouldn’t recommend doing it.
5. Last year a song I sang was broadcast on a nationally syndicated radio show. How many people heard it, I have no fucking idea. But it was cool.
6. “Fuck” is one of my favorite words. Ever. It has a myriad of uses and just feels good rolling off my tongue. ; )
7. One time at a party I took a self-photo… Of my cleavage (still dressed, of course! But there was definitely cleavage). The pictures were passed around for weeks and nobody could figure out who it was. LOL.

Wow, trying to pick out seven random/weird things is quite a challenge. (although I have more!)

; )

rebar said...

Hoorah!

It was hard for me too. Thanks for digging in, though!

I am impressed by the black belt. Maybe next time I'm in FL, you can show me some moves. (Yeah, I know you're not training now, but I'm sure it's like riding a bike.)

Stay away from the coffee. I don't drink it very often, but when I do - like this past week when I've had no sleep - the caffiene does a complete number on my system. So, not worth becoming one of those zombies who can't function without it.

I've never snorted anything. I spend most of my time keeping stuff OUT of my nose.

But once, I did (on a bet of $20} ingest the ranch dressing that was sitting on our table for an hour or so (leftover from someone's wing order.) It tasted like ass. And everything I ate for several days later tasted the same. Gah.

Good times. Good times.

music is bliss said...

You know, I've kinda always wondered what ass tastes like.

; )