Monday, December 1, 2008

by the dashboard lights

A Poem to Celebrate our First Snow in the City.


It's been snowing a bit in Chicago.

I got up this morning.
I bundled up.
I dragged Olive out for a walk.
We didn't even make it halfway down the sidewalk when she made the turn back for home.


I scrapped the ice off my car while the engine warmed.
I strapped myself in and began the slow crawl out to the burbs.
I turned the radio on and the Fleet Foxes began to play.

It put me in the best possible mood one could be for what would be a long ride in and a long ride home later today.

And then I looked down.
My dashboard was lit up like Xmas.
I wasn't even at the expressway yet.
I immediately turned home, realising that I didn't have much more than $20 on me.

I parked outside my building.
As I prepared to run in and grab my CTA card and a credit card, I stopped.
I realised that I can't afford to deal with the car today.

And now I am working from home.
Annoyed at this economy and my part in crapping it up.
Bemused with the beast alseep at the other end of the sofa.

And since I have a roof over my head,
And believe that this (bullshit) too shall pass,
And know that the marble with continue to spin.

I will listen to White Winter Hymnal again and find my happy place

Dashboard lights
You win this round
But I shall win the war






I was following the pack
All swallowed in their coats
With scarves of red tied 'round their throats
To keep their little heads
From fallin' in the snow
And I turned 'round and there you go
And, Michael, you would fall
And turn the white snow red as strawberries
In the summertime...

No comments: