Wednesday, December 24, 2008

my xmas wish for you

Sometimes, you just have to laugh.




As it has always been, day in and day out, since days of olde...my cynic's mind will once again battle with my optomistic heart.

There is a little chunk inside me that believes that no matter how crappy the economy gets or how shitty people can be towards one another be it in a war zone or mall parking lot, we all have the capacity for good and that the universe will unfold as it should.

And nothing reminds me more than a night's veiwing of my all time favorite movie.





One of my favorite lines is a throw away line that Uncle Billy says in his frantic rambling. I normally don't like when writers try to tie in the title with dialogue, but for me this is really what the entire message of the movie is about. Listen for it when he spills the basket of money.

Isn't it wonderful? So many friends!

I love this movie. I watch it all year long (not just at xmas.) I've probably seen it more than any other movie in my lifetime. I have so many memories of home and holidays tied to it - as I'm sure a lot of folks do.

One memory is a few years back at WNEP, when we had our theater space on Halsted. That year, we put up a tree and threw a big party with a potluck dinner. We had a grab bag and at the end of the night, we set up a big TV and all sat and watched It's A Wonderful Life.

Timed to perfection, just as the scene came up with everyone bringing in the money to give to the Bailey's, a friend of ours (who looked quite a bit like a young Jimmy Stewart) came running in, dressed as George Bailey, carrying a basket full of dollar bills yelling, "Merry Christmas Movie House! Merry Christmas WNEP! Merry Christmas you wonderful old Theater!"

He dumped the money (a donation of one hundred dollar bills) and ran back out.

We were all laughing and cheering and crying and it remains one of my favorite Christmas memories of all time.


So to all the sweet folk I know...for all the holiday annoyances and family drama and travel nightmares this season can bring...what I wish for you this Christmas is a memory that can fill you up with laughter and goodness.

Sooner or later all that other stuff falls away and it's the memories of a Jimmy Stewart look-a-like running in and yelling, "Merry Christmas Emporium!" that make it all worthwhile.

Have a safe and lovely holiday folks!
I love and adore you.

xoxo

rebar


Note to Amy...please tell your hubby I continue to be thankful for witnessing that moment.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome story. Brendan does remind me of Jimmy Stewart too.

I don't know what I'd do with life if it weren't for all the stories.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Erica said...

Oh my gosh, what an amazing story. I bet y'all were so surprised! I love it!

Merry Christmas!

Old Ned said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you!

rebar said...

test